Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)

Boontida
7 - Meteor

Dear all, 

When my workflow is located on my computer, it can be well run and no error is shown. 

However, after I change the workflow location from my computer to the share drive. After running the workflow, I have found the error message "Error creating the file: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)".

Note:

1. My input and output is located in share drive.

2. I use the workflow similar to this post  Alteryx: Excel Templates with Blob Tools – Intersections and Overlaps (wordpress.com)   and the error message is shown on Blob Output.

Could you please advise the solution to fix this error ?

Thank you so much in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Boontida with the issue coming from the use of a share drive connection, have you checked that the file isn’t already in use? This could be colleagues having the file open or even other programmes referencing/using the file whilst Alteryx is trying to.

Boontida
7 - Meteor

Dear @DataNath 

I've checked that nobody opens the file or uses the file.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Boontida are you able to give a bit more information as to what the output is? This error tends to happen when a user or process is using the file i.e. Tableau/Qlik etc. as well as another person. It can also happen when you have AMP engine enabled but more information can probably help us to pinpoint the issue better.

Boontida
7 - Meteor

Dear @DataNath 

My output is excel and we do not use AMP engine.

Boontida_1-1663776819237.png

This is my workflow that is applied from this post: Alteryx: Excel Templates with Blob Tools – Intersections and Overlaps (wordpress.com)

Boontida_11-1663780131117.png

The 1st formula tool has been set as below.

Boontida_7-1663779689976.png

The 2nd formula tool after block until done has been set as below.

Boontida_8-1663779736605.png

Then, the blob input is shown below.

Boontida_9-1663779814745.png

And, the blob output is shown below. 

Boontida_10-1663779822781.png

After running the workflow, the error message shows that >>> Error creating the file "xxxx" (as indicated in the path for blob field): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)".

Kindly suggest please.

Thank you so much.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Boontida in that article, it looks as though the blob part for moving the template is done straight away from the input data tool and the overwrite step is the only thing coming from the Block Until Done tool (output 2). Have you tried that? Also, can you confirm which part of your workflow tool 32 is? 

jacklindenberg
5 - Atom

Did you end up finding a solution to this error? I'm facing the same exact problem

pmaddox015
5 - Atom

I had the same problem. in my case i found that an output file had already been created from the template for the date in question. the solution was to delete the previously created output file and re-run. It appears that it does not overwrite an existing file. 

Labels