Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email Output Tool - Receiving Multiple Emails

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

I am needing to output a render file to email.  Everything seems to be working except I am getting 11 individual emails, one for each tab on my excel file.  I am using the Block Until Done right before the render.  The workflow goes all the way through then renders first and second sends the email.  How can I just have one file with 11 tabs emailed to me?

5 REPLIES 5
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @BrandonS4, reading your post, the attached sample workflow might be a good starting point for you to look at and adjust your workflow. The key things to note in this solution are,

1) how the Layout tool is configured

AbhilashR_2-1589858760443.png

This configuration tells Alteryx to treat individual Tables coming into the Layout tool as individual tabs in excel file

2) usage of Sample tool before the Email tool.

AbhilashR_1-1589858683883.png

The Email tool by its default nature sends one email out for every row of data coming into it. In other words if 5 rows of data come into it, it will send out 5 separate (and most likely same) emails out. Using the Sample Tool controls the count of records going to the Email tool, thereby giving you just 1 email.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if this isn't what you are looking for.

BrandonS4
8 - Asteroid

I already have my layout configured the way you have listed.  I will use the sample tool and I believe that will fix my issue.  Thank you again!

KLS
8 - Asteroid

@AbhilashR  @BrandonS4 sorry if I may cut in. I have alteryx that reads the correct output file in the my local drive. But when i click on the attachment file in the email tool that was generated ,it prompts an error message below. Again the output file in local drive is good when i opened them.Only when i Opened them in the email thats causing below problem. Please help, thanks.

KLS_1-1589902023753.png

KLS_2-1589902037635.png

KLS_0-1589901998912.png

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @KLS, I have never seen that error before so not sure where to start looking to debug. Is this happening with just this file or many others too? Also, can you share a sample of your workflow to allows us to run it on our machines and see if we can replicate this error?

dbrownsc
7 - Meteor

Hi @KLS, From my understanding, Alteryx can't output the records to a file and send an email with that file as an attachment at the same time. To work around this utilize the "Block Until Done" one more time between the first "Block Until Done" and the email tool. This will allow the workflow to process and create the attachment, then send the email. 

Hope this helps, sorry I know your questions pretty old, and I hope you've fixed it by now.

dbrownsc_0-1676484038490.png

Labels