Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Designer v2022.3 not displaying polygon in Shapefile from Australian Bureau of Statistic

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

I recently upgraded to Designer 2022.3 and each time I run a ESRI Shapefile from a trusted source and view it in the Browser, I am unable to see the polygon for Australia.  Instead I am presented with a map of Greenland.  However when I view the same file in a older version of Designer, I am able to see the polygons.  I have attached the shapefile.

7 REPLIES 7
LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

This polygon shapefile of Australia is downloaded from the Australian Bureau of Statistics via the following website:

https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/1270.0.55.001July%202016?OpenDocument

"Statistical Area Level 4 (SA4) ASGS Ed 2016 Digital Boundaries in ESRI Shapefile Format "

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It is weird because I am getting the same behavior of it zooming in on Greenland - however, I am not getting any polygons displayed in Greenland which was encouraging. I used a Spatial Info tool to see the X and Y coordinates of the Centroid, and they do show up in Australia in the correct places.

I would look for a different file in the same site to see if another one resolves this issue. Otherwise I would report it as a bug and continue on with your analyses as I do think the polygons are currently "valid" even if they aren't displaying.

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

thanks for the confirmation, I've tested other ABS files and they are all the same ... just showing a map of Greenland.  Alteryx must have changed something in version 2022 that caused this error.  Will escalate to Alteryx.

Logan_Coffey
6 - Meteoroid

Having this same exact issue with this exact same data set from Australia. Our jump was from 2021 to 2023 Alteryx. Would love to know if you found anything out 

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

I was told by support that release 2023.1 will fix the issue however I haven't tested it nor did the jump, was your jump to 2023.1?

Logan_Coffey
6 - Meteoroid

Yes it was we jumped from 2021 to 2023. 

Logan_Coffey
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Liouj - so I think it was simply since I had a custom projection method on. 2023 has some bugs, but go back try to use WGS84 as a projection method. My guess is since we are using the same exact data in the same way - it might yield similar results. 

A note from the support team: 

projection is the means by which you display the coordinate system and your data on a flat surface. These surfaces help cartographers create two-dimensional maps from the three-dimensional Earth while minimizing distortion in specific properties like area, shape, distance, or direction. It's just different projection displays data differently. . That's why I choose WGS84 as it protect all the property maximum.

Labels