Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Column of Dynamic Parameter Names and Column of Associated Values into 2 or 3 columns

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone,

In the attached Sample workflow, I have a sample data set that consist of a Column that contains a Client Id, a column that consist of Parameter Names, and a column that consist of Parameter values. These Parameter Names are the Header for each Parameter value. These Parameter Names could be different for each client and the quantity number of parameters names could be different from client to client. I need a way to dynamically turn whatever quantity and values that are received into 2 or 3 columns that eventually looks like the output in the sample but in multiple columns.

Any suggestions? It is probably super easy to do but nothing I have tried so far has worked.

asmith314_0-1676821583822.png 

asmith314_1-1676821611327.png

Ultimately I need the data to look like this (I used a photo editor to make this with the fields)

asmith314_0-1676829325644.png

12 REPLIES 12
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@asmith314 something like this?

binuacs_0-1676828164587.png

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

Thanks so much for your response!

More so where the data is like this

asmith314_0-1676829028229.png

Instead of 

asmith314_1-1676829054493.png

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

Also the way that my output is designed, I can omit the client ID entirely, Forgot mention that. I added it initially as an anchor for the transform tools but it didn't pan out the way I was doing it.

EkatLol
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! Does something like the below work? 

I created a record ID count that increased by 0.5 in every row, then moved the 0.5 records under the left column (then renamed to "Column").

EkatLol_2-1676829659126.png

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

Maybe this might be easier to work with because is assigning incremental numbers to the data sets?

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

I feel like I'm getting closer but trying to figure out now how to turn the record 1.1 into the header and 1.2 into the value so that I can remove the record ID. Don't know if this is the best way! My first time using the Multi-Field Binning Tool but it did help me separate the data into 3 columns

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@asmith314 updated the workflow and attached

binuacs_1-1676832946631.png

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

That looks like it will do the trick! Thanks

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

Upon testing various input sources, I found that previously accept method didn't produce as reliable output as I needed. I figured I would share the method I went with after lots of testing in case someone else needs to do this. I appreciate binuacs  and EkatLol so much for jumping in to assist me, you guys really took the time to save my bacon today on a SUNDAY when most folks are relaxing and for that I'm grateful. This won't be the last time that I need to do this and the workflow I'm working on as a whole is MASSIVE. What I decided to go with is way more steps than I was hoping for. I am open to any other suggestions if someone has an easier way to accomplish this <3 I love to learn new ways to go about doing things. Thanks so much for the insight, even if I went a different direction, the insight is valuable because It helps me to see it from another angle.

NOTE: This workflow also removes the section if there is no data output as an extra bonus :)

Hope others find use in this if no one else replies with a better way

Labels