Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Change File Type Without Opening?

jakeuk
6 - Meteoroid

I am currently running on 2021.3.3.63061

I am experiencing an issue with the Input tool for .xls files, and I've been hopping from one article to another. Most reference installing the Microsoft Access Database extension, which I have done, but I am still receiving this error: Error opening connect string: Microsoft Access Database Engine: External table is not in the expected format.\3274 = -328602519

I think the problem may be rooted in the file itself. Whenever I try to open it in Excel, I receive the error: The file format and extension of "file_name.xls" don't match. The file could be corrupted or unsafe. Most other articles detail how the user does not have any issues opening the file in the normal program, where as I am experiencing this problem. This is making me wonder as to whether I can change the file type without having to open it. I really just don't want to have to open it in Excel, save it down as a .xlsm or something of that nature, and then run m workflow. It almost makes it harder.

Is there a way to change the file extension or a group of files' extensions, as I have many files like this, without having to import the data? 

1 REPLY 1

Hi @jakeuk 

Please check the macro attached and this link: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/workflow-Converting-xls-file-to-xlsx/t...

For me, I found the excelcnv.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excelcnv.exe

This is the path reflected in the macro attached. Hope it helps. Thanks!

Labels