Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculate row value as a proportion of the sum of all rows using In-DB

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

How can I calculate the value of one row of data as a proportion of the sum of all rows in the data, using In-DB?

E.g. 

IDValueProportion
A1010%
B3030%
C2020%
D4040%

The total sum of all rows is 100.

Thanks

afk

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @akasubi 

Which DB are you using?

This will definitely involve a Summarize Tool, to calculate the total column.

Then you might need to append this total to all of your rows, and do something like (Value/Total) to calculate the proportion.

You could give us a better picture of your data and specify which database you're working with.

Cheers,

akasubi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Thableaus 

I'm connected to SQL server. I did think to do as you suggested but wasn't sure if this was the correct approach.

From another question I posted, I will need to create dummy fields to append the total sum to all my rows?

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@akasubi 

Either it's that or creating a SQL query to do this calc for you (from what I know)

Using Alteryx In-DB tools, I think this is the best way to go (the most intuitive one).

Creating the Total Column should not be a problem. You can drop it after calculating the Proportion column.

Cheers,

geraldo
13 - Pulsar
Hi, The query that I suggest looks like this: select ID as ID, count(*) as Value , count(*) / max( (select sum(Value) from ( select count(*) as Value , ID from TableName group by ID) )) * 100 as Proportion from TableName group by ID;
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

The query that I suggest looks like this:

select ID as ID,
count(*) as Value ,
count(*) / max( (select sum(Value)
from ( select count(*) as Value ,
ID
from TableName group by ID) )) * 100 as Proportion
from TableName group by ID;

Labels