Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Advantage of using the Simba Drivers

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

So, I see that Alteryx offers Simba drivers for Oracle, Terada, Snowflake, etc. What is the advantage of using Simba over the drivers you would get from Oracle, Teradata, etc.?

3 REPLIES 3
Raj
14 - Magnetar

Simba drivers are like universal adapters for databases, making it easy for programs to communicate with various databases like Oracle, Teradata, and Snowflake. They offer benefits like consistent interfaces, compatibility across different platforms, improved performance, support for multiple database versions, extra features, and vendor neutrality. In simple terms, they make it smoother, faster, and more flexible to work with different databases.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

TBH - it really depends. At it's core - using a tested driver makes a difference - this is because under the hood there can be differences in how data is received/sent/parsed by the driver and the program. So while for Snowflake - you may not see a difference between Snowflake DSII and Simba - that's not always true. Many non-Simba drivers work great.... and then you'll hit the Redshift one and won't be able to get more than one character out of your fields.

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello all,

I will be more controversial :

-the advantage : it's supported by Alteryx.
-the inconvenient : it's usually not supported by the database provider and usually not up to date.. and the UI, especially for Hive is a nightmare.

On my own PC, I don't use simba driver (and it works pretty well on the one I tried)  but when I work for a customer, as I have a responsability, I suggest to use the Simba driver.

Best regards,

Simon

Labels