Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Additional Information about the Predictive and Time Series Tools

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi,

I am interested in learn more about how Alteryx Predictive Tools work, and the information in the help webpages is not enough, because it describes the different option of the tools, but it doesn't explain in depth the different models, the recommended options based on the characteristics of the data, etc.

Anyone know where I can find additional information about how works the ARIMA and the rest of the tools? Or any useful bibliography about these topics? 

Cheers,

Pablo

8 REPLIES 8
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Hey there,

Good question. While Alteryx makes the modelling easy it still relies on a modicum of knowledge to build the right results.

I can recommend Dr Dan Putlers book (Alteryx's Chief Scientist). While this focuses on R rather than Alteryx in the examples it does provide lots of interesting use cases in an applied sense, and will give you plenty of knowledge. Link here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Customer-Business-Analytics-Applied-Decision/dp/1466503963

Secondly I'd point you at the training pages on Alteryx.com here there are some old webinars in the Virtual Training that should help to grips with Alteryx and it's modelling (including the background to some of the models).

Chris

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thanks Chris,

I will read the book you recommend then. I'm very interested in predictive analysis, but it's important to have a good statistical knowledge, because even when you get a high r squared it doesn't mean the prediction is good. At least what I know about ARIMA for example is that the variable to predict has to have some concrete conditions to aply the ARIMA in a certain way and to make sure that the results are valid, you are not over estimating, etc.

Thanks again!

Pablo

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

Also in the help files there are sometimes links to the source material eg the ARIMA has a link out to the Forecasting: principles and practice online textbook

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Totally agree. I've bought this book and i must say its fantastic! A great resource for anyone interested in predictive analytics written in "English" not geek speak. I think this should be made "compulsory" reading for anyone buying alteryx for predicitve capabilities.

What would be even more amazing if Dr Dan or one of his data scientists can post a weekly blog on applying predictive models in alteryx for different industries. That would be awesome!

mcwallendjack
8 - Asteroid

Hi Adrian, 

I echo that sentiment on your suggestion for Dr. Dan's weekly blog!

BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @adrianloong and any other interested parties,

I wrote the first of a series of EngineWorks posts about using the R-based tools here. @mcwallendjack already found it, but I hope it's at least somewhat useful for the rest of you. We on the Advanced Analytics/Content Engineering teams are pretty busy with other projects right now, so a weekly blog is a bit out of our scope. However, please let me know which topics you'd like me to talk about in the future!

Thanks,

Bridget

Bridget Toomey

Research Scientist, Analytic Products

Alteryx
adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Hi Bridget, thanks for the post! It's makes great reading.. I'll be sharing it on Twitter as well to help drive the cause.

Adrian

BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks, @adrianloong! I'm glad you found it useful and hope that your Twitter followers do as well. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to post about in the future?

Bridget Toomey

Research Scientist, Analytic Products

Alteryx
Labels