Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

5 workflows, repeated 50 times?

parnell
7 - Meteor

Hi, I'm new to the community and before I embark on creating something that I know I'll regret (50 copies of 5 workflows each) - I thought I'd pose a question.

I have 5 workflows that run for each (retail) location. 4 run daily, one monthly (they each handle different tasks). I'm duplicating the workflows every time I add a location to my project. So, when I add location 2, I have to duplicate my 5 workflows and save them, specific to location 2 and so on.

The ONLY difference between them (after duplication) is the input directory (only because I'm sorting files into those directories specific to each location) and the OUTPUT files/locations.

So, I figure there HAS to be a way to do this without turning 5 workflows into 250 (5x50 locations)...or more.  

(Not to mention, if I ever have to change the workflow, I'd much rather change one than 50 or more.)

Any thoughts/approaches/tools to look at are welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @parnell,

A batch macro will do this for you. The control Parameter will be the directory and that would be used to update both the input tool and the Output tool. You can then just have a list of the folders feed into the Batch Macro. 

For an example of a batch macro, take a look at 'Help > Sample Workflows > Macro Samples > Batch Macro Sample Workflow'.

As a sideline, if you did ever have to create 50 workflows that are very similar. Try to work out which pieces are consistent and make that into a macro, so then you would only need to edit that Macro rather than the 50 workflows. (But for this example, you should be able to make the whole thing into a batch macro).

Kane

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I agree with @KaneG

Here is an article to read:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Apps-and-Macros/ta-p/35375

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
parnell
7 - Meteor

Thanks Kane. 

I like the "sideline" note - as the output is tricky being mapped to unique Google sheets.

thank you!

Labels