The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow canvas navigation via a "Hand Tool," like Photoshop, instead of endless mouse wheel scrolling

Posting on behalf of Door To Door Organics:

Canvases can get pretty huge and it's an unintuitive pain to have to scroll and shift+scroll across a large canvas, and an even bigger pain to rely on the sliders at the edges of the canvas. It would be REALLY nice if we could navigate the canvas by dragging the canvas around, much like a touch interface, in the same way that Photoshop's "Hand Tool" works. 

As an added plus, the same hotkey that Photoshop uses (the spacebar) should also be usable in Designer, since, I'm pretty sure it's not used for anything else at the moment, as a hotkey. The functionality would look like this: hold down the spacebar (which changes the mouse cursor to a hand tool) and then, while the space bar is still held down, you'd be able to "grab" the canvas and drag it around in your view port in order to traverse it in a much more intuitive way. Bonus points if you could manage to implement some inertial scrolling with this as well. 😃

5 Comments
erik
5 - Atom
Oh man, this would be so fantastic!
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
If you hold down the scroll wheel on the canvas then you can drag it around by moving the mouse

Cheers
Adam
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

This functionality will be part of the 10.1 release!

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

In Alteryx Analytics 10.1 you can now hold Spacebar to enter "panning mode" and then use your left mouse button to pan around the canvas.

Read about this and a number of other enhancements to Canvas Navigation at the Engine Works Blog.

BCarley
7 - Meteor

@Geoffj

Am I right in thinking that we have lost the ALT + Left Click to pan? Are there known issues with the space bar panning mode? I don't seem to be able to actually pan once the symbol comes up