Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

More comprehensive Date/Time handling

To keep from being too specific, the "Idea" is that Alteryx Designer should do better at recognizing and handling Date/Times on input. Thoughts include:

1) Offer more choices in the Parse: DateTime tool, including am/pm.
2) Allow users to add new formats to the Parse: DateTime lists.
3) Include user-added formats in the Preparation: Auto Field tool's library.
4) Don't require zero-padding of days and hours in the DateTimeParse() function.  (1/1/2014 1:23:45 AM looks enough like a date that DateTimeParse() should be able to figure it out, but it stumbles on day and hour.)

My particular difficulty is that I have incoming date/times with AM/PM components.  I've gone ahead and created a macro to take care of that for now, but it certainly seems like that sort of thing would be handled automatically.

Thanks!

9 Comments
sphwillis
7 - Meteor
Also, in the DateTime tool, please add more input format strings especially with dates containing '-Mon-'. for example, this one is not available. dd-Mon-yyyy. You would make oracle users happy. Or give user flexibility to define input format like in Excel.

mark_cyr
7 - Meteor
I encountered this limitation today.  Lack of zero-padding (month, day, hour) and AM/PM confuse both the DateTime tool as well as the DateTimeParse tool.  I have the same date format as the original poster (e.g. 1/1/2014 1:23:45 PM), and I cannot parse this date without preparing the data first.
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Agree with what other posters have stated.  I have an application that outputs Date / Time in the following format that isn't recognized by Alteryx.

10/16/2013 6:11:04 AM 

Right now, i am working with this by blowing up each component (Day, Month, Year, Hour, Minute, Second) using a Text to Columns parse tool and padding as appropriate, and then concatenating back into an Alteryx recognized Date/Time format.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

bkornell
5 - Atom

The ability to use DateTimeTrim to truncate to the beginning of the week would also be very helpful. We do this all the time.

GilYee
5 - Atom

Astonishing how this very common format isn't built in.

adrianho
5 - Atom

This tool really need to allow users to write the datetimeformat as a string.

The one thing that astonnishes me is that this tool does not handle Alteryxes own conversions.

If you have a list with sales and dates, and convert it into a crosstab, with the dates as columns. then Alteryx makes the headers have the format "YYYY_MM_DD". This format is NOT on the list of available formats in the DateTimeTool...... I am amazed

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

jrdepriest
7 - Meteor

So this is coming soon?

I wanted to mention that it should understand timezone formatting, both TZ and -500 type formats. As it is, I just carve that stuff out and ignore it, but if I have multiple time zones in the same file, it becomes difficult and requires extra steps.