Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Preparation/ Formatting - Excel file

evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid
Hi ,

I am a beginer in Alteryx and I would like to know how to exclude the last three records in my excel file . Please note,the files I need to process has variable number of records each time. Would anyone help me how to do that in Alteryx?

Thanks
Evelyn
6 REPLIES 6
ToddW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
If you want to exclude the last three records in your Excel file, you can use a combination of tools along with the Sample tool.

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Another way is using the Dynamic Input tool which has a SELECT TOP N * FROM Sheetname statement, the N gets replaced by the number of rows -3 which gets identified with the Count rows tool.

rtaImage (19).png

rtaImage (20).png

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid
Thanks for those answers. When using the Dynamic input tool can you please explain what options I need to choose?
Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
I wrote a macro to solve this for you and put it up in a blog post:

http://inspiringingenuity.net/2014/07/15/alteryx-skip-last-n-records/

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

this is now also fully supported using the sample tool - just invert the sort order of your data, skip the first 3 rows, and then invert again.

@evelyn_sherwin- let me know if you still have questions (just reply with a workflow with some sample data) and we can crack through to help you solve, or if this is now solved would you mind tagging this as solved?

Cheers

Sean

evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Sean,

Thanks for letting me know. This has been resolved now. The above solutions mentioned were helpful to resolve.

Thanks

Evelyn

Labels