Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Preparation/ Formatting - Excel file

evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid
Hi ,

I am a beginer in Alteryx and I would like to know how to exclude the last three records in my excel file . Please note,the files I need to process has variable number of records each time. Would anyone help me how to do that in Alteryx?

Thanks
Evelyn
6 REPLIES 6
ToddW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
If you want to exclude the last three records in your Excel file, you can use a combination of tools along with the Sample tool.

MargaritaW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Another way is using the Dynamic Input tool which has a SELECT TOP N * FROM Sheetname statement, the N gets replaced by the number of rows -3 which gets identified with the Count rows tool.

rtaImage (19).png

rtaImage (20).png

Margarita Wilshire
Sr. Manager, Customer Support Engineering
Women & Allies Committee

Alteryx, Inc.
evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid
Thanks for those answers. When using the Dynamic input tool can you please explain what options I need to choose?
Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
I wrote a macro to solve this for you and put it up in a blog post:

http://inspiringingenuity.net/2014/07/15/alteryx-skip-last-n-records/

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

this is now also fully supported using the sample tool - just invert the sort order of your data, skip the first 3 rows, and then invert again.

@evelyn_sherwin- let me know if you still have questions (just reply with a workflow with some sample data) and we can crack through to help you solve, or if this is now solved would you mind tagging this as solved?

Cheers

Sean

evelyn_sherwin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Sean,

Thanks for letting me know. This has been resolved now. The above solutions mentioned were helpful to resolve.

Thanks

Evelyn

Labels